Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I see your True Colors

Over my time as a student and working in higher ed, I've had a lot of opportunities to take personality assessments and work style inventories. Two things have become fairly apparent - I've definitely grown and developed over the years and I have a tendency to stick to the middle of the road.

With those tests that I've taken more than once, I almost never score the same thing more than once. Most people would attribute this to a change that allowed me to grow further as a leader or professionally. It's good to see that laid out and charted whereas it's often hard to pinpoint progress in progress. On some, particularly the Bird Test (which very similar to True Colors), I've been all of the possible outcomes.

That brings up the other commonality that I've seen. On most assessments, I tend to score nearly even on most levels or near the center of the grid. I think it's because I don't like the wording of some of the questions. No, of course I don't ALWAYS respond to a situation in this way or I can't say that I NEVER react like that. Darn you Likert scales and your lack of flexibility!!

The reason, I bring this up is that on my recent on-campus interview the students were very excited to have taken the True Colors test as part of their training. They asked what my color was and, honestly, I had no clue. I had taken a test based on True Colors years ago and was sure that I wasn't the same anymore. I took it online tonight and scored fairly evenly across all areas. My strongest color was Gold followed closely by Blue and Green. Orange was the lowest, but not by much. Right now, I'm reading through the information packet that came with my results and thoroughly enjoying finding out more about myself and how I operate!

I really hope to be able to use this assessment in the future and definitely encourage everyone to try it out. Let me know what your color is if you do!

2 comments:

  1. i'm an off the charts orange..not that should surprise you. well over the years my orange has gone down a bit. I believe I'm orange, blue, gold, green. I heart true colors - i had additional materials about the colors if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange, really?? Not you! LOL... I'd love any extras that you have!

    ReplyDelete