Monday, April 5, 2010

Complete Honesty

It's not usually a struggle to be entirely honest, but there are times when I wonder if I should hold back. For example, I spoke with the director I'm interviewing with next Friday to update her on my condition.

We discussed how I'm getting around and the possibility of having a caregiver along with me just in case I have difficulty outside of the interview times with luggage and the hotel. However, I also mentioned the strong possibility that I'll still be on pain meds during the interview and that I'm not entirely sure how I will react on them just yet. Was that too much information or just a necessary precaution?

She also asked how I broke my ankle in the first place. My response, though not as descriptive as the whole truth, is still an honest statement- "I was in a restaurant and lost my footing. My ankle rolled and broke in 2 places." Technically, the place is a restaurant a much greater percentage of the time than it is considered a bar or club. And yes, I was dancing when I lost my footing, but it was lost nonetheless.

Where does one draw the line between tactfully sharing relevant information and withholding the truth to make the story seem better than it actually is?

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me there is video of this somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! As far as I know, there is no video of this incident... Here's (http://donutdaily.blogspot.com/2010/04/april-fools-i-wish.html) a much more detailed description of what I remember happening if you're interested. I'll be off my feet for quite a while and may not be able to make it to visit like I'd planned this summer.

    ReplyDelete