Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm back home from my interview and getting settled into my routine. One thing that I picked up in Delaware and during my travels was a keen appreciation and respect for those who use wheelchairs on a daily basis and those that work with them.

Honestly, there would have been no way that I could have gotten around the airport, let alone through the entire experience without the help of my sister-in-law who graciously accompanied me. She helped smooth things over when I needed assistance in the airport and hotels. On that note, most of the flight attendants, airline representatives, hotel employees and people we encountered were very accommodating and helped to make sure that I was as comfortable as possible.

During the interview, the professionals and students all seemed to be very willing to help get me around campus. Without that, I don't know how long my arms would have held up-it was already hard enough pushing myself around in a suit on a warm day! I think the interview went well though I've got some concerns mostly regarding my physical condition as it relates to their timeline. The position itself seems to be very much a learning opportunity and would be a great first position.

Despite our best efforts, we missed our flight home on Friday evening. Since there is not an airport near the University of Delaware, Cathy had to drive us to and from the Baltimore airport in a rental car. We hit Friday afternoon traffic along the way, had difficulties returning the car and using the shuttle and simply didn't make it to the counter in time to check our luggage. All in all, it wasn't a terrible thing though I think we were both frustrated due to the lack of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment